[Krampf Experiment, Cool Water

Rob Rob at krampf.com
Fri Aug 13 18:26:04 EDT 2010

Robert Krampf's Experiment of the Week
Cool Water

***************************************
What's New at TheHappyScientist.com:

For everyone:

	Video:  Food Chain - Producers.  This is the first in a series about how
	energy travels through the food chain.
	http://thehappyscientist.com/science-video/producers

	Science Photo of the Day:  Each day a new photo, with a new
	question.
	 http://thehappyscientist.com/blog/1

	The Science Photo of the Day is also on Facebook at:
	http://www.facebook.com/TheHappyScientist

For Subscribers:

	Video:  Improved version of About Microwaves.
	http://thehappyscientist.com/science-video/about-microwaves

	Video:  Improved version of Foot Circles.
	http://thehappyscientist.com/science-video/foot-circles

***************************************

Cool Water

Greetings from our home at the beach.  We are spending some time in St. Augustine to prepare for a big trip west.  We plan to spend a few weeks in New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah for a combination science/art expedition.  Nancy will be searching out artistic inspiration while I will be keeping an eye open for video locations and new Science Photo of the Day pictures.  Best of all, this is a free form trip, with no fixed dates or locations.  We will be taking advantage of whatever we find along the way.  It should be a blast!

Last night Nancy and I made a marvelous discovery while watching the Perseid Meteor Shower.  Scientists have been exploring ways to protect Earth from at some point being hit by an asteroid.  I am proud to say that I think I have the solution.  All we need is to have me sit out with my camera.  I set my Nikon on the tripod, set for 30 second exposures, and my PClix set to trigger a shot every 31 seconds.  Using an 18mm lens, I was able to cover a nice sized chunk of sky.  In five hours of coverage, we saw LOTS of meteors, some of them incredibly bright, but none of them in the area covered by my camera.  That is right.  While meteors blazed past all around, for five hours, not a single meteor ventured into the field of my camera. OK, I did manage to find one tiny streak on one photo, but that was all.  So if I set up my cameras to photograph the entire sky, and got the same result, we would have the Krampf Meteor Defense Screen!

OK, now back to the world of science.  This week's experiment comes from washing the dishes.  If you look back, you will find that a fair number of my experiments have come from washing dishes, which is probably the result of the state my mind is in when my belly is stuffed with yummy food.  To experiment with this, you will need:

- a sink, garden hose, stream, or other source of flowing water.

Start by turning on the water, and placing your hand into it.  Unless you turned on the hot water tap, or your garden hose has been sitting in the sun, the water will probably feel cool.  Now cup your hands together and let the water flow into them.  Keep your hands there for a few seconds, and then move them slightly, so that the water flows over your hand instead of into your cupped palms.  Do you notice a difference in the temperature?

Move your hands back and forth, from letting the water flow into your cupped hands to letting it flow across your hand instead.  Why does it feel so much cooler flowing across your hand?

I noticed something very similar on a recent trip to Ginny Springs in Florida.  Floating gently on giant inner tube, the water did not feel that cold, once I got over the initial shock.  While I was moving at the same speed as the water, I was comfortable.  When I grabbed a branch and stopped myself, the water felt much colder.  Why?

You are probably thinking that the water in your hand feels warmer because your hand has warmed it.  You are correct!  If you put a thermometer into the water in your hand, it will probably read at the same temperature as the water flowing over your hand, but that is because you are measuring the temperature of the water in the center of the pool formed by your hands.  Over by your skin, things are very different.  There, heat energy is moving from your warmer skin to the cooler water.  Your skin is cooled, the water is warmed, and the temperature difference between the two is decreased.

That difference in temperature plays a large role in what you feel.  When we say that we "get used to" the temperature of a hot bath or a cold spring, quite a bit of the process involves decreasing the temperature difference between skin and the surrounding water.  The less difference there is, the less heat or cold we tend to fell.  Of course, that only works up to the point were the temperature threatens to cause damage.  No matter how little the difference, boiling water is still going to feel hot.

As long as the water is not moving, that thin layer of warmer water stays next to your skin.  On the other hand, if the water is flowing past you, there is a constant supply of fresh, cool water, so there is a much greater temperature difference.  That is why the running water feels colder, and why the flowing spring felt colder when I was anchored.

That idea also plays a role in wet suits used for surfing, diving, and kayaking.  The suit does not keep the water out.  That is why it is called a wetsuit.  If you can't keep the water away from your skin, the next best thing is to protect that layer of warmed water next to your skin.  The wetsuit keeps it from being swept away as you swim, dramatically reducing the amount of heat that you lose.  If your wetsuit fits loosely, your movements will cause that layer of warmed water to squeeze out, letting fresh, cold water flow back in.  I can tell you from my experience kayaking, that is a very bad thing.

Have a wonder-filled week.

This weekly e-mail list is provided free of charge.  You are welcome to print it in your newsletter, repost it on the Internet, etc., as long as you do not charge for access, and my name, and website link ( http://thehappyscientist.com ) are included.

This newsletter is sent by permission only.

Copyright © 2010. Robert Krampf's Science Education